On February 12, 1895, the Board of Education approved plans for a new school building. The approved plans were for an 8-room brick building to be called the "Nebraska Avenue School." On April 9, 1895, the school's name was changed from Nebraska Avenue School to Froebel School. Froebel School was named in honor of the founder and originator of the Kindergarten system, Mr. Frederick Wilhelm August Froebel. During Froebel's 127 years of existence, it has undergone several renovations to add additional classrooms. It also had a couple more name changes to Froebel Elementary School and the current name, Froebel Literacy Academy.